Tuesday, July 19, 2016

FFI Finale, now MP free!

Success! I've completed the first game in my list!

I'll be moving on to Final Fantasy II this afternoon, so because of my poor planning, it's a little too late to get name submissions and put them to a vote. Instead, I'm going to let you vote on categories, and I'll name each character after something in that category. Click here for the poll.

Nice Fortress. I'll take it.
So I last left off when I had just reached the Flying Fortress which exists because why not? The dungeon was straightforward and I easily cleared it of treasures before I went on to defeat the lovely and talented Tiamat in approximately three and a half rounds of battle. I did make sure to pick up the Admantite. It was, after all just  laying around on the floor in a random room. Hey, at least I didn't loot it out of some guy's house like treasures in later Final Fantasy games. I took it for a visit to the Dwarves in Mt Duergar - and a friendly blacksmith who was understandably excited about the whole thing.


Excalibur was all mine! Well it was FF0000's if you want to get technical.

"Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power
just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
No MP Required
After some last minute shopping to grab the last of the spells I needed for FFFFFF and 000000, I was headed for the Chaos Shrine. By this point in the game, I was pretty much able to function entirely without MP due to my extensive item list. I can't recall exactly what I had when I entered the shrine, but by the end of the game, I had quite a few goodies that covered a wide range of uses, as you can no doubt see. I had items for healing, items for damage, and even some that gave me some useful buffs. I pretty much had 000000 spamming the Gauntlet, and FFFFFF spamming the healing staff, and in tougher battles, I occasionally spent a little MP on extra healing or to cast haste or other buffs that weren't available from my items.

Upon entering the Chaos Shrine, I pulled a Doctor Who and went back in time to try and save the world from a 2000 year old time loop of doom. The dungeon was supposedly straightforward, but my poor sense of direction struck again and I wandered around for a few hours as I battled the four fiends again on each progressive floor. It didn't help that I was falling asleep while playing - It had been a long day at work.

I'm MEELLLTTIIINNNGGG!
Eventually though, I reached the big baddie himself. The fight was slightly challenging, but my getting lost so much had me at a level that made it more than manageable. With a minimal amount of effort, and FF0000 dying twice, I beat the final boss with a series of melee hits boosted by the Giant's Glove that casts saber and a few blasts of Flare and Holy. Five days and done. Granted, I made use of a walkthrough, but the older games in the series almost require it if you want to avoid wasting too much time figuring out where you're supposed to go next.

Anyway:
And the rest of the text was taking too long to scroll.
I got bored and went to do something else.

It really does feel good to get through the first game so quickly. I did skip all the bonus dungeons, but as I said before, I'll revisit those when or if I make it through all of the games. Roll Credits!

Join me tomorrow for my first steps in Final Fantasy II, and to find out what I end up naming my characters based on the winning category.

No comments:

Post a Comment