Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day 6: First Steps in FFII

I honestly hadn't expected to complete Final Fantasy I in just five days, but then again, I definitely wasn't dallying as much as I usually do. I was happy to be able to start on II though, as a lot of staples of the series find their beginnings here. I also appreciate that they made such leaps and bounds in terms of story from I to II. In the first one, you have nameless heroes, and a somewhat generic 'save the world from evil' tale. It's not without it's twists, but its uncomplicated.

II on the other hand, starts out complex and downright shocking from the first moments of the game where you watch your characters struck down by much more powerful foes. You have the illusion of being able to fight back, but there's absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it. The game really makes you feel as powerless as the characters you're playing. Since I first played this one, I have enjoyed it immensely, and I know I will again during this play-through.

As expected. :)
As with the previous game, I allowed my readers to vote on names, this time in the form of categories. I wasn't all that surprised at the winner, but I was a little amused by the fact that 'Ikea furniture' (Pink) was tied with Disney Princesses (Yellow) for second place. Just two votes stood between each of them and victory.

As a consolation prize I'll tell you what they would have been named. If Ikea had won, they'd have been Poang, Skarst, Hemnes, and, Ektorp. If I had to name them after Disney Princesses they would have been Ariel, Mulan, Kuzko, and Gaston. (Don't try to argue about Gaston and Kuzko. Search your feelings - You know them to belong here.)

No, the people have spoken so I'll be naming them after Star Wars characters. Knowing the story as I do, I wanted to be sure the names I gave them were somewhat appropriate. Now obviously I could have ended up with Han, Leia, Luke, Etc, but I decided I'd take this to the new school and use names from TFA - which will result in a little foreshadowing for those of you who are familiar with the new movie, and not with this game. Just know that if you're reading this blog and don't want to see spoilers, you're gonna have a bad time.


In retrospect, Guy (Poe) might have been better named BB8... but oh well!

So as I mentioned, I started up my game and watched as my freshly named party was cut down mercilessly by Imperial forces. Cut to one of my favorite characters, Minwu, patching Finn up in Altair. I had to laugh out loud when he started calling for Rey, Poe and Kylo. Once the party reunited sans Kylo, we went in to speak with Princess Hilde about joining the rebellion, and she got all snotty, and said no. (Technically she expressed genuine concern for the safety of three teenagers.) 

After learning the Resistance Fighters' password, it was off to do exactly what she told us not to: head back to the kingdom of Fynn to look for our friend. Wait ...Finn is from Fynn. Ha! Once there, we snuck past a bunch of guards, slipped into the pub, and went to visit the dying Prince Scott of Kashuan. He told us some key information, Rey got upset that he didn't know where Kylo was, he gave us a ring, and then... HE DED.

The party made their way back to Altair, and convinced her highness to let them join. She then proceeds to trust the three newbies to go and get some vital Mithril for the rebellion and also see if they could get some information on their missing operative Josef. To be fair, she at least sent her advisor with us.

With Minwu in the party, it was time for a little self-flagellation. This game is a bit unique in it's skill based system. The more you use or need something, the more likely it is it improve. So step one was to change weapons around to be a little more appropriate for their namesakes. I gave Finn the bow that Rey had equipped, and Rey took the sword and shield. Poe I just left with the axe. There are no ships to fly, so he can just smash things the old fashioned way.

So anyway, back to the masochistic tendencies. I like to build up my party's HP and weapon skill right outside Altair by having them each attack themselves. Minwu is there to cast life when needed, but for the most part, I just have the characters pull a Fight Club so they'll get better at fighting by fighting themselves. And that's where I stopped for the day. Day six is in the books.

This HP is not acceptable!

At this point, to turn a phrase suggested by my husband, "Finn, Rey and Poe, the beatings will continue until your stats improve." Tune in tomorrow for a summary of today's exploits!

No comments:

Post a Comment