Friday, July 15, 2016

Day One Progress


The poll has spoken. As you can see from the screenshot, the names have been chosen for my party members. I played a few hours last night, and got my game well underway.

Right off the bat, FF0000 decided that dying was going to be his favorite hobby. I remedied this by taking a few laps of Corneria and getting his butt in gear. Then I had to remember how spells work, and got some for FFFFFF and 000000. Meanwhile, 0000FF is nice and low maintenance. No weapons, just good old fashioned beat-downs.

In short order, I slapped Garland around for a few rounds and rescued Princess Sarah. She gave me a lute. Then it was cut scene time as I waited for the bridge to the north to be rebuilt. Then I proceeded to said bridge and sat through the snail like words drifting upwards Star Wars style. No really. The developers were huge Star Wars fans.

Once that was done, I went east, kicked some pirate ruffians out of Pravoka, took their boat, and headed south to Elfheim. Then there was more grinding to be done to buy all the neat stuff for sale there. Adventuring isn't cheap, but thankfully all wild creatures and monsters carry cash.

Properly equipped, I set out from there to go to the marsh cave, kill some piscodemons, take the crown they were guarding, and carry it off to the keep to the north. After all my grinding, astos didn't really stand a chance. All I had to do was mash 'a' until he died. Matoya then got her eye back, and a broom reminded me how to look at the world map. Derp.

I took Matoya's super fancy potion back to the Elven prince, got his lazy bum out of bed and there was much rejoicing. Then it was bedtime. Day one of 100 is complete.


Impressions:

I'd forgotten how much grinding is necessary for games like these. Sure I could try powering through it, but then I risk a wipe and getting set back.

The story is really basic, but then again, that's part of the nostalgic charm of it all. Rescue the princess, save the world. It was a good launch point for the games that follow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment